Monday, August 10, 2009

Craig Luebben

I can't remember when I first met Craig. Maybe while working at Rock & Ice back in the day, maybe in Eldo Canyon, maybe in Canada. But I got to know him through working on some stories with him, sharing information about ice climbing (he was keenly interested in many of the same topics as me and did a lot of original research that effected anyone who climbs ice), running into him at various crags around North America, etc. etc. He's one of those guys who is just always around somewhere, part of the fabric of climbing. But now he's not-- he died while training for a guide's exam. His partner was exceedingly solid and by all reports the route was well within their limits, Craig just got hit by a chunk of falling something. Done, and a family shattered.

No one can make life risk-free, nor would a risk-free life be worth living. But risky activities are just that. This one is going to keep me up at night. Sometimes I yearn for a simplistic belief in an ordered cosmos, but accidents like this rip that idea right out by the roots. I think it's best to realize we are insignificant in the cosmic scope of things and play the game with that knowledge, it might prevent a few delusions about our own importance or sanctity. We are also as significant as any other mass of anything out there...

I know that, for as long as I live, I will listen to Craig's death both for the echoes of the life he lived and the knowledge he added to all of ours. Listen up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful sentiments. from craig's sister

Ralph S. said...

Hey Will,

Here is a link to more information:
http://climbing.about.com/b/2009/08/10/details-on-craig-luebbens-tragic-climbing-accident.htm

He will be missed.

Will Gadd said...

Thanks, and peace to Craig's family and friends. Love the ones you love now.

Yesterday a friend came by who had recently experienced a bad accident. I gave him two of Craig's books from my book shelf to read while he recovered. Craig's echoes will be here for a very long time to come.