Sunday, February 04, 2007

24 hours of Sunlight

So I got home yesterday after destroying myself with about 5,000 feet of aerobic purification and celebrated by lounging on the couch with a glass of good scotch. Or two. I was checking out ski randonee race stuff (no plans for a career switch, but interesting) when I started following the Sunlight 24 hours race. Canada's Greg Hill was going hard at about 5:00, and every once in a while I'd check in. After I ate dinner and he'd knocked out around 20,000 vert. As I was getting ready for bed he'd done around 30,000. This morning, after I'd had a nice sleep in a soft bed he was pushing 45,000. He's now one run away from hitting 50,000 of vert in 24 hours. I felt pretty hedonistic, Greg was getting FULL value out of 24 hours. He had some good competition from an adventure racer named Eric Sullivan, but in the wee hours Greg stomped a few runs to eventually get a lap up on Eric. I can only imagine the effort it must have taken to do that. Now it's 10:00 and Greg is one run out from 50,000 vertical feet up and 50,000 down. Barring total collapse, he's got it done. Now that's an accomplishment--most people probably don't ski 50,000 vert in a season. Damn.

Race results are live here.

No comments: